BKPS Session Links
- New to Colorado? Want to meet “outdoorsy” people and see what the summertime Colorado mountains have to offer?
- Are you a complete novice at backpacking yet inspired by how refreshed your friends are after spending a weekend in the mountains?
- Did you backpack years ago and are looking for a skills refresher and to see what gear and techniques experienced backpackers use?
- Does the Colorado Trail beckon?
- The Rio Grande Pyramid is on your “Must Climb!” list. It is a long drive to the trailhead and long approach to the mountain, definitely not a day trip. And it could be fun to explore the San Juan’s for an extra day or two. If only you felt more comfortable with your backpacking skills
These are just a handful of great reasons to sign up for Backpacking School! Students of the Denver Group Backpacking School learn the skills necessary to safely backpack the Colorado Mountains in non-winter conditions. Passionate instructors experienced with the Colorado Mountains (and elsewhere) will teach you best practices to keep your trip going as planned and how to deal with situations when they don’t. More information can be found below.
Enrollment Begins March 1st each year
Backpacking School Session
The BKPS topics include:
- Gear and clothing
- Camp craft and skills
- Cooking, nutrition and stoves
- Organizing your: trip, pack, tent and camp
- Basic first aid
- Staying warm
- Leave No Trace principles
- Packing and packing lighter
- Avoiding problems with animals and weather
The BKPS instructors are passionate and experienced hikers who love the outdoors, enjoy sharing their knowledge, and deeply know their gear and skills.
Participation in the school’s outings may provide the student with hiker evaluations that can be used towards a “B” or “C” classification change. The “B” and “C” (and “D”) hiker classifications have additional requirements so please contact the office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the required form and additional information.