“Every time I go out into the backcountry, I get the same child-like excitement about its newness and its possibilities. To arrive in a remote wilderness spot, pitch a tent, and cook and eat a meal while surrounded by the simple beauty of nature—that is one of life’s greatest pleasures.” – Bo Hilleberg
BKPS Session Links
- Are you new to Colorado and want to meet “outdoorsy” people and see what the summertime Colorado mountains have to offer?
- Are you a complete novice at backpacking but are inspired by how refreshed your friends are after spending a weekend in the mountains?
- Are you looking for a skills refresher and to see what gear and techniques experienced backpackers use?
- Does the Colorado Trail beckon?
- The Rio Grande Pyramid is on your “Must Climb!” list. It is a long drive to the trailhead and long approach to the mountain, definitely not a day trip. And it could be fun to explore the San Juan’s for an extra day or two. If only you felt more comfortable with your backpacking skills.
These are just a handful of great reasons to sign up for Backpacking School! Students of the Denver Group Backpacking School learn the skills necessary to safely backpack the Colorado Mountains in non-winter conditions. Passionate instructors experienced with the Colorado Mountains (and elsewhere) will teach you best practices to keep your trip going as planned and how to deal with situations when they don’t. More information can be found below.
The BKPS session will consist of four lectures, a day trip, two overnight trips and one 2-night trip. A more detailed schedule can be found here: BKPS 2018 schedule.
Enrollment fee is $125 for CMC members.
Registration is a 2-step process. Start the process now to reserve a spot! (Please review the requirements below.)
Backpacking School Session
The BKPS topics include:
- Gear and clothing
- Camp craft and skills
- Cooking, nutrition and stoves
- Organizing your: trip, pack, tent and camp
- Basic first aid
- Staying warm
- Leave No Trace principles
- Packing and packing lighter
- Avoiding problems with animals and weather
The BKPS instructors are passionate and experienced hikers who love the outdoors, enjoy sharing their knowledge, and deeply know their gear and skills.
Graduating Backpacking School provides a B hiking classification and satisfies one of the requirements for a C classification (required for Basic Mountaineering School).
The Denver Group Backpacking School is open to all CMC members 18 and older regardless of hiking classification, and youth 15–17 years of age accompanied by a parent or guardian. Students are expected to be comfortable with basic day hiking.
Successful completion of the Wilderness Trekking School (WTS) is required. If you haven’t completed WTS but believe your trekking skills are proficient, especially in navigation, you can submit a WTS waiver for approval. Please review the WTS curriculum before submitting a waiver.
Links & Additional Information
- Sign up online: Fees & Registration
- Frequently asked questions
- Contact Us
- Mission Statement
Connect With Us
- Join us on Facebook at Colorado Mountain Club Backpacking School and see what fellow backpackers are doing.