Registration for any of the four 2019 sessions is now open. To learn about the seminar, read on. To register, scroll down to find the date you want.
Learn how to be safe in the backcountry.
Open to CMC members and non-members
Learning how to be safe in the backcountry is a major reason many members join the CMC.
Some people seek out information because:
“I know what I don’t know.”
For others, it’s:
“I don’t know what I don’t know.”
The Introduction to Hiking Safety seminar is a one-evening session during which you will learn:
- the many aspects of safety you need to be aware of, including subjects such as lightning, avalanche, animal encounters, getting lost (or staying found), cold weather gear, staying warm, hypothermia and cold weather injuries, and being stranded over night,
- tools, methods of preparation, and how to respond to safety challenges,
- an introduction to the extensive program of in-depth, hands-on safety training offered in the CMC Denver Group’s adult education curriculum.
Subjects will include:
- trip planning
- the 10 essentials: must have gear
- basic navigation: staying found
- clothing: including layering, materials, rain gear, sun protection
- animal encounters: bear, moose, mountain lions, rabies, mosquitoes, tics
- trail nutrition and hydration
- trail sense: registers, noting location, reading trail markers
- obtaining Search And Rescue support
- mountain weather, including lightning safety
- avalanche terrain avoidance
- overview of Denver Group schools with significant safety content
- cold weather concerns such as hypothermia and cold injuries, hunting season, chemical hand warmers, shorter days, fire starting, micro spikes, staying dry, staying warm, insulating water systems, cold weather nutrition
Price: $ 10.00 for members, $15.00 for non-members
Because of the low tuition for this course, refunds are not possible. However, if you must cancel, please notify the school director and we will provide no-cost attendance at a future session.
Time: All sessions run from 6:30 to 9:00
Location: Class will be held at the:
Colorado Mountain Club
American Mountaineering Center
710 10th St.
Golden, CO 80401
Director: Art Hogling: [email protected]
Steve Billig: [email protected]
For downloadable handouts from the course content, click the link below.