Denver Trip Leader School, (TLS)
Trip Leader School will be offered on October 19, 2019. Registration will open in mid-August, 2019. Follow the process outlined below to enroll.
The Prerequisites for Attending Trip Leader School are:
- Be a CMC Denver Group member.
- Complete 5 CMC Denver Group trips of which no more than 2 may be school field trips.
- Take the Wilderness First Aid (WFA) class. It is preferable to complete WFA before Trip Leader School, but concurrent enrollment in TLS and WFA is acceptable.
To Enroll in Trip Leader School:
- Complete a Trip Leader School application which can be found at /wp-content/uploads/Denver-Group-Trip-Leader-School-Application-Fillable.pdf
- The Trip Leader School Director reviews the applicant’s records, emails approval and sends the Pass Code for enrolling.
- Applicant logs onto the CMC website (https://www.cmc.org/Calendar/Classes.aspx) and enrolls in Trip Leader School using the designated password.
The school provides a 4-hour lecture on topics such as trip planning, group dynamics, situational awareness, communication skills, leadership, CMC policies, and leader liability considerations. The Leader-In-Training (LIT) hike is a 4-hour field trip conducted on local Open Space hiking trails where candidates will engage in role playing, working through potential real-life scenarios, and having discussions with Instructor Leaders on best practices for working through situations they may face while leading trips. Students are given specific guidelines for arranging their final Leader-In-Training hike and for applying to become a trip leader.
There is No Fee for the Trip Leader School but it is necessary to submit the application for attending.
To learn more about Trip Leader School, follow this link: Denver Trip Leader Program
Jeff Stevens is the Director of Trip Leader School.