Denver Trip Leader School, (TLS)
Trip Leader School will be offered on May 4, 2019. Registration will open sometime in the of Spring of 2019. Follow the process outlined below to enroll.
The Prerequisites for Attending Trip Leader School are:
- Be a CMC Denver Group member.
- Complete 5 CMC Denver Group trips of which no more than 2 may be school field trips.
- Take the Wilderness First Aid (WFA) class. It is preferable to complete WFA before Trip Leader School, (TLS) but dual enrollment in TLS and WFA is acceptable.
To Enroll in Trip Leader School:
- Complete a SALT application which can be found at https://goo.gl/DhBZfM. SALT stands for Support Aid for Leader Training.
- The SALT Coordinator reviews the applicant’s records, emails approval and sends the Pass Code for enrolling.
- Applicant logs onto the CMC website (https://www.cmc.org/Calendar/Classes.aspx) and enrolls in Trip Leader School (TLS) using the pass code received from the SALT Coordinator.
The school provides a 4-hour lecture on topics such as CMC policies, legal and risk considerations, trip planning, group dynamics, situational awareness, the trip cycle, the CMC ambassador role and leadership. The Leader-In-Training (LIT) field practical is a 4-hour session conducted on hiking trails where candidates will engage in role playing, working through trip scenarios, and having discussions with Instructor Leaders on best practices for working through dilemmas they may face while leading trips. Students are given specific guidelines for how to arrange for up their 2nd required Leader-In-Training hike.
There is No Fee for the Trip Leader School but it is necessary to apply through the SALT Program so that there is consistency in administering the candidate approval process.
To learn more about Trip Leader School, follow this link: Denver Trip Leader Program
Kevin Schaal is the Director of Trip Leader School.