“JOIN THE PACK’’
CMC DENVER BACKPACKING SECTION
Statement of Purpose:
Promote backpacking as a core CMC activity, organize and coordinate backpacking trips, and give early notice to BPX members of BPX events.
Although CMC has a moratorium on travel and gatherings, BPX rolled out forty backpacking trips electronically to its member’s March 18th. Within eighteen hours 55% of the trips were “sold out”. The 2020 season trips represented destinations in more than 19 of Colorado’s superb Wilderness Areas.
All trips are listed in the CMC Trip Schedule and are available for registration.
Door prize drawings were also held electronically using a random number generator corresponding to the order in which BPX members registered for the KickOff. Lucky winners are Alexa Carollo, Kathy Nguyen, John O’Leary, Joanne Young, Stacia Roberts, Barbara Chavous, MJ Jarvis.
Section members are updated through monthly newsletters and a notice of slots available on trips. Click here to see our current and past newsletters “Backcountry Cache.”
Benefits of BPX membership and benefits of being a BPX Trip Leader are posted in the RESOURCES section of this web page.
We recommend you go to your MY MEMBERSHIP on CMC.org and check the “backpacking” special interest of your personal profile page to be certain you will receive future updates.
Recruiting BPX Leaders: We are currently seeking backpacking trip leaders to lead BPX trips. If you may be interested in leading backpacking trips or helping with committee work, please contact the Trip Leader Coordinator at [email protected]
BPX Operations Committee:
- John Walters, Chair – [email protected]
- Steve Wolf, Vice Chair & Trip Coordinator – [email protected]
- Jennie Popovich, Communications/Promotions – [email protected]
- Linda Lawson, Communications/Promotions; Sec/Treasurer – [email protected]
- Uwe Sartori, Trip Leader Coordinator – [email protected]
- Linda Taipale, [email protected]
- Randy Blosser, [email protected]
BPX’s founding committee includes Jennie Popovich, director of Denver Backpacking School (who completed a thru-hike of the CT in September,) Linda Lawson (long-term leader, volunteer and AIARE School Director) and John Walters (over 10 years as a high-volume trip leader and former DS&L Chair) as committee chair.
- Benefits of Membership
- Trip Registration Guidelines
- The Backpacking Section (BPX) also supports the CMC Backpacking School (BKPS), which will teach you the skills necessary to safely backpack in the Colorado Mountains in non-winter conditions. Click here for more information on the BKPS.
- Application and Authorization Documents
- Committee Bios
- Objectives and Strategies
- Trip Leader Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
- Trip Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
- Communications Plan (under construction)
The current edition of the BPX newsletter, Backcountry Cache, is also available in the left column of this page under the “Newsletters” heading.
These photos are some of the scenery of the 40 backpacking trips available to BPX Members.