INTERESTED IN BACKPACKING TRIPS – JOIN THE CMC DENVER BACKPACKING SECTION
The CMC Denver Backpacking Section (BPX) was officially authorized by Denver Group Council at their business meeting on September 11, 2019. The purpose of BPX is to promote backpacking as a core CMC activity, organize and coordinate backpacking trips, and give early notice to BPX members of BPX events.
The BPX Committee will now move ahead on developing our 2020 season of backpacking trips. BPX’s entire 2020 schedule will be posted in March 2020, with the first activity scheduled for May. Section members will be notified by email as soon as the trips are scheduled. Until then, section members will be updated periodically on the plans and progress.
We are currently seeking backpacking trip leaders to lead BPX trips. If you may be interested in leading backpacking trips or helping with committee work, please contact one of the committee members listed below.
Benefits of BPX membership include:
- More Trips—BPX will create many more “general” backpacking trips than offered to Denver Group members in recent years
- Greater Variety—BPX will offer a greater variety of trips, including easy and more difficult, overnights and multi-day, weekend and weekday, out-and-backs and loop trips, and with down time for fishing or exploring the area
- Earlier Scheduling—BPX will post a list of summer trips in early spring, to give participants more time to plan their summer
- Advanced Notice—BPX members will be kept informed on what’s being planned and given email notice as soon as trips are available for registration
- Education—BPX will offer backpacking articles and field training beyond Backpacking School
- Coaching—BPX will help members with prior BP experience get started backpacking again
- Overnight Gear Checks—BPX will offer overnight gear checks at local campgrounds to try out new gear before using it on an extended backpacking trip
- Newsletters—BPX members will periodically receive published news
- Notices – Members will periodically receive notice of coming events, including spots still open on posted trips
We recommend you go to your MY MEMBERSHIP on CMC.org and check the “backpacking” special interest of your personal profile page to be certain you will receive future updates.
BPX’s founding committee includes Jennie Popovich, director of Denver Backpacking School (who completed a thru-hike of the CT in September,) Linda Lawson (long-term leader, volunteer and AIARE School Director) and John Walters (over 10 years as a high volume trip leader and former DS&L Chair) as committee chair.
- John Walters, Chair – [email protected]
- Steve Wolf, Vice Chair – [email protected]
- Sean O’Connell, Trip Leader Coordinator – [email protected]
- Bob Watkins, Trip Coordinator – [email protected]
- Elizabeth Moroney, Communications & Promotions Team, [email protected]
- Jennie Popovich, Communications & Promotions Team, [email protected]
- Linda Lawson, Communications & Promotions Team, and Secretary/Treasurer [email protected]
BPX newsletters are available in the left column of this page under the “Newsletters” heading. The inaugural newsletter is available by clicking here.